Where's this project going?

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Love the approach you're taking with Ukadc.Diagnostics -- I always felt that it was a shame .NET couldn't do this out of the box and we've resorted to third-party options to fill the hole.  The fact that everything in the framework that has to log something uses System.Diagnostics to do so doesn't hurt anything either!  Just makes my life a lot easier! :)

Was just wondering where this project was going though -- haven't seen much activity here as of late.  Does .NET 4.0 change the equation at all? 

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:29 AM

I also use Ukadc.Diagnostics in one of our projects (.Net 3.0). And I would like to see that this very usefull library grows and goes forward.

:-(

Coordinator
Apr 23, 2010 at 7:57 AM
Edited Apr 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in the project - it's great to hear that it's providing value out there!

Unfortunately, due to the work commitments of the contributors the project is in hibernation right now. Are there specific features or improvements you'd like to see?

Thanks

Josh

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM

No problem -- just wondering what the longterm outlook for it was.   I'd hope to see some/all of this functionality get subsumed into the framework itself -- any hope for that?  No problems with the current codebase although it would be nice to see the ProxyTraceListener fleshed-out a bit more -- especially a WPF/Silverlight client log viewer tool.  Also, being this is really an extension to System.Diagnostics how about renaming the namespace to something like System.Diagnostics.Extensions or something to that effect?

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I'd love to do some more work on the ProxyTraceListener and the log viewer tool.

I'd also really like to take a look at what we can do for the Windows Azure folk. Unfortunately, we definitely won't get time to do this for a couple of months.

As things stand, I'm unaware of any plans to roll this stuff into the .NET framework.

Josh